Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring Sneaking Up

One odd thing about living in the State of Eternal Sunshine is that without clearly defined seasons the year seems to fly by at lightspeed.

Back in Chicago, the bleak, gray days of winter seemed to drag on forever. The span from December to March seemed to last for at least a year. Here in Florida, we have a few cold snaps but nothing too wicked or consistent. Thus it's already March, with Easter looming just around the corner, and my mind can barely comprehend that Christmas is over.

One good thing about spring is that I can plant flowers without worrying that they will succumb to one of the rare but deadly sub-freezing cold snaps. My yard has been barren, but recently I bought a few flowers to start the springtime spruce-up. As the warmth increases, I'll keep adding until I have a rainbow blooming in my yard.

The days are also slowly but surely getting longer, but I'm still reeling from the return to Daylight Savings Time. Between that and a propensity for drinking coffee late into the night, I've been wide awake at 2 a.m. and barely conscious at 10 the next morning. Since I'm self employed and don't have a tight schedule to follow, it's that much harder to get back onto a "normal" schedule. I've always been a night owl anyway, so all it takes is the smallest excuse to get me back into a noctural rhythm.

My husband is a night owl, too, although he has to keep to a tighter schedule for work. The cats have always been readily adaptable. As long as they're near at least one human, they don't care what that human is doing as long as there is a warm body they can snuggle against. It can be on the couch, on a chair, or in the bed...they're not fussy.

Truman the Quaker Parrot started off downright narcoleptic, but he too has adapted to the household schedule. Now he stays up late, then crawls into his Happy Hut and sleeps like a dead thing until 9 a.m. or later. Once he's in the hut, he's downright comatose. But I'm glad that he stays up longer now; when we first bought him, he'd go to bed promptly at 5 p.m. What's the good of having a pet bird if it spends most of its time as an unconscious lump of green feathers?

Spring is continuing its relentless march forward, and summer is just around the corner. In Chicago, it would mean a transition from the threat of snow to balmy weather to heat, but here in Florida it's simply a change from warm to hot to ultra hot. And that's the way I like it.

Visit my Celebration, FL website: http://www.celebrationinfo.com/

Click below to visit online counseling office at Kasamba:

Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at Kasamba

No comments: