Friday, January 29, 2010

Water, Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink

We're been under a water boiling order in Celebration since yesterday due to a water break in Kissimmee that has affected a pretty wide span. I didn't even know there was a problem till I read it on the Front Porch, our community intranet, which serves the same function as the backyard fence gossip chains and party lines of old. Tap water is supposed to be boiled before use, although thankfully we're pretty well supplied with Gatorade so it hasn't been a major inconvenience.

It did make for an interesting restaurant experience tonight though. We were kicking around where to go and were pretty much between B. J.'s Brewhouse and Abuleo's, both located in the Loop shopping area. They're pretty much our default selections when we can't decide where to go. Then I got to thinking...what about Bonefish? It's in the same area, although it's part of the strip mall rather than a standalone building like the other two. I always see a lot of people there so I figured it had to be good, or at least decent. I tossed the idea out to hubby, and after reviewing the online menu we decided to give it a try.

The Loop is within the water boiling boundary, so we wondered how that might be affecting things. We quickly discovered it meant no ice, no water and no fountain drinks. My husband ordered wine and we did manage to get a little water (they had some bottles on hand that were quickly running out). The food menu was not affected, so he ordered the mussel appetizer and a mahi dish which I ordered corn chowder with crab and a mahi sandwich.

It was quite interesting to hear the reactions of many of the people around us when they learned of the limitations. Even with the last of the bottled water there was no ice so you had to drink it warm. This was apparently a major life trauma for one party; they demanded to see the manager. I'm not sure what they thought she would do or if they thought they'd do any better at another restaurant since every Loop eatery was in the same boat. I squelched the temptation to ask them if they thought the people in Haiti, many of whom have no water or food, would have any sympathy for their plight. Life is very much a matter of perspective. Your life is pretty freakin' good if your major complaint is having to drink warm bottled water with your upscale seafood meal.

One of the restaurant employees had been sent out for more bottled water and ice, which showed up in time for our meal. Actually, I could have easily restricted myself to drinking the broth from hubby's mussel appetizer, was was truly the nectar of the gods. I have no idea what was in it, but it took all my willpower not to steal his bowl and chug it right down.

As we were finishing it up, I heard the distinct sound of a poot from the table behind us (we were in close quarters). Just as I was thinking, "Was that really a fart?" the unmistakable olifactory evidence proved that it was. "Ugh," I told my hubby, "the next table is providing us with after dinner aromatherapy."

Suddenly Mr. Poot slung his chair back and reclined as though he were at the dinette table in his trailer, putting him nearly in hubby's lap. Now I was doubly fearful of a repeat pooting. Hubby was like, "WTF?" and I said, "Maybe he's flirting with you." That didn't seem to sink into Mr. Poot's head even though he had to be close enough to hear. I tried again: "He has to be subtle about his attraction to you because I don't think he's out of the closet with his family yet." Still nothing. Finally I said, "God help us if his rear end lets out enother emission when he's this close." He immediately lurched forward and stayed out of our space while we ate dessert, thank goodness.

All in all it was a tasty meal despite the water situation and the pooter. I love both Abuelo's and B. J.'s, but it's nice to know we have another restaurant to add into the regular rotation.

1 comment:

Terri from UK said...

I love your blogs! :) Mr Poot.. ha ha...